APACA has been a key player influencing Australian cultural policy since 1987 when the Association was established.
APACA is governed by an Executive Management team made up of venue managers from each of Australia's states and territories.
The association is managed by the Executive Officer.
All Australian communities shall actively engage in enriching performing arts experiences facilitated by their performing arts centre.
The Australian Performing Arts Centres Association (APACA) as a national advocacy network will:
- Provide leadership for the development of performing arts organisations to be outstanding professional presenters and facilitators.
- Advocate for the proper resourcing of performing arts and in particular for presenters, facilitators and venues for all Australian communities.
- To assist in the presentation of the performing arts by its members
- To facilitate the bringing together of artists and audiences
- To foster ethical standards and effective business practices in the performing arts centre operation, presentation and management
- To assist in the professional development of personnel involved in the operation of performing arts centres and in the presentation and management of performing arts centres
- To influence public policy and public opinion to advance the interest of its members
- To assist in the promotion of activities which will enable members to develop audiences and the performing arts activity in their own communities
- To develop and/or disseminate and exchange information on the management of performing arts centres and the presentation of the performing arts including music, dance, theatre film, lectures and related programs
- To promote the freedom of artistic expression and the pursuit of excellence within the performing arts
- To encourage cultural and aesthetic diversity within the performing arts
- To extend the performing arts marketplace and stimulate the integration of the performing arts into the fabric of society.
Strategic Directions 2009-14
- To encourage and promote excellence in the presentation of performing arts across Australia.
- To effectively maintain and develop the APACA network in collaboration with state-based presenter organisations.
- To position APACA as a peak national body for performing arts presenters and align the organisation with key national partners.
- To provide valued services to a growing membership.